“Since December 15,1992, Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government has been participating in the Community Rating System (CRS) Program, as sponsored by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Created by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), this program provides new incentives for communities that implement activities beyond those required by the NFIP. In return, the community is rewarded for these activities in the form of lower insurance premiums for citizens. As part of this program, the parish has implemented a public information service to anyone in need of flood hazard information. We have a technical person for flood insurance on staff who can answer your flood insurance questions, and provide advice on how to better protect properties from flooding. In addition to protection advice, residents can request site visits by calling the permit office at (985) 873-6567. Homeowners may be able to access funding through the Hazard Mitigation Grant program, Increased Cost of Compliance Program, or Severe Repetitive Loss Program. Residents can obtain information on these programs by calling the Recovery Assistance and Mitigation Division at (985) 873-6565.
As a public service, the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government Department of Planning and Zoning will provide you with the following information upon request:
- Whether a property is in or out of the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM).
- Additional flood insurance data for a property, such as the FIRM zone, the community number, date of the FIRM, the panel number, and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM.
- We have a handout on the flood insurance purchase requirement that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA.
- Planning and Zoning maintains elevation certificates for new and substantially improved structures in the SFHA.
- Planning and Zoning updates the Flood Insurance Rate Maps as needed when revisions are made to the maps.
- Planning and Zoning also has information for additional FIRM information such as if the property is located in an area protected by the Coastal Barrier Resources System, conservation areas in the parish, including wetlands and Wildlife Management Areas, and the repetitive loss areas in the parish.
- Planning and Zoning has hard copies of the FIRM, located on the first floor of the Government Tower.
We can provide written verification of any information requested. If you would like to make an inquiry, we are open 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Call the Planning and Zoning Department at (985) 873-6567, email [email protected], or stop by Government Tower at 8026 Main Street. All inquires may be directed to Lisa Ledet.
Lisa Ledet, CFM